Give a Girl a Journal

My favourite creative living coach, Jamie Ridler of www.jamieridlerstudios.ca has launched an initiative around what has been a constant in my life: journaling.

Her program is called Give a Girl a Journal. The idea is that if we provide young girls with their very own journal to write, draw - be creative in, a means of expressing themselves that's just for them, the possibilities for what it can bring to their lives, is endless.

I have kept a journal since I was about ten, I think. My first was a yellowish-coloured, small hardcover book, with the dates marked off and a few lines for each. It was probably meant more as a date book, but I used it to record happenings in my life. An early entry read, in very awkward printing, "I got two teef pulled today".

I started writing more consistently in middle school when adolescence is waning and new thoughts and emotions appear, and the teenage years take hold. I started in exercise books that I made pretty covers for out of wrapping paper. I moved on to a variety of different, more attractive journals that are so enticing in the store. I occasionally still buy one of these books to add to my collection. But my favourite go-to now is a Moleskine large, hard-covered lined journal. I think the paper quality is not quite as good as it used to be, but it still takes gel pen well and it doesn't try to be anything else other than a place for my thoughts and emotions.

I've had some health struggles in my life, including now, where my journal has helped me stay on course. Depression has been one of those factors, and keeping a journal has been an important tool to help me through it. I haven't been much for re-reading old entries, but now I think it's time to start revisiting the work of my life, and see the lessons I have learned.

If you would like to spread some do-good and be a part of this program, please visit Jamie's site at giveagirlajournal.com to either sponsor a girl to receive a journal, or nominate someone you know who would benefit. Give a girl a journal, inspire possibility. The program launches on today, Sunday, February 14th.

#giveagirlajournal



Comments

Popular Posts